Sunday, September 5, 2021

A Warped Warp

 There are times I can tell a weaving project is a no go.  What I mean by this is that there is a structural problem with the warp.  I have been making scrappy scarfs with odds and ends.  Yes after 22 years of knitting and spinning, I have lots of odds snd ends.  If paired right these odds and ends make fabulous one of a kind scarfs.  They in turn are used as holiday presents for kids who go to the clothing bank I support.  

This scarf turned into a problem child.  I suspect that one of the 100% cotton warp yarns was mislabeled.  My personal guess is it was a cotton rayon blend.  Rayon does not hold up to the tension I put on the yarn when adjusting the loom after each section is finished.  I started having tension problems with the right 1/3 of the warp.  Most of the time it is a little hiccup that disappears in a few inches.  This just kept getting worse. This just seemed to be getting worse. I could have just cut out the bad part, then pulling out the bad warp yarn and put new yarn on. That’s a lot of work so I just cut it off the loom. Dumped the scraps into the next dog pillow.  Then I will start a new warp for the next scarf.  Sometimes a clean slate so to speak is the best solution.  


No comments:

Post a Comment