Sunday, October 8, 2023

Petroleum Based Fibers

 As you are well aware of the fact that I do not use petroleum based yarns that have acrylic or polyester in them.  Today I made an exception because I had donated yarn for dog pillows.  Normally I dislike them because they bother my skin.  They are bad for the environment. They are messy when cut up. Today I will add another reason why they should be avoided.  I was cutting a lot of larger pieces made from very thick yarn, into suitable pieces to put into dog pillows.  I do believe that I have absolutely ruined a good pair of Fiskars Sewing scissors.  I will try to clean them up and sharpen them.  I sharpen them several times during the day with diminishing results. I don’t hold much hope for their recovery from the awful yarn.  

When I get larger and thicker pieces made for cheap and crappy yarn I will not waste my daily useful Hand time. I will not ruin another pair of scissors.  

I am hoping that either Amazon or Joann’s will have a sale to replace them.  I am not sure I want to put in hand time to repair them.  

Please do yourself and the environment a favor and buy yarn and fiber that will last for years. Yes, I still have a 100% cotton baby blanket that both kids used. Also blankets that are not quite as old that are still in good shape. I am sure some of you have family heirlooms that are even older.  Also no scissors were ever harmed using natural fibers.  

*The Fiskars Scissors were bought buy me so last century from a now defunct fabric store in California.  Before todays debacle, I cut heavyweight cotton fiber for the dog pillows with no problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment