Friday, October 28, 2011

Spinning Outside the House

Yesterday I took my spinning outside. It was the first time I took my wheel outside to spin. It was such a nice day. I had my ice tea and i-pod for music. Yes I did play the song Spinning Wheels in the second set of music.  I had a great time. And learned a lot.

Some of the things that I learned included the most important lesson of spinning so far. If the fluff I am working with has a lot of left over farm matter, (read that as left over hay) I only have to dust the wheel afterwards. No vacuuming needed. After all who really cares if I leave dirt on the garage floor or the patio.

It is even more relaxing to spin outside. Listening to the birds chirp. Watching the bunnies stop and try to figure out if everything is OK with the new sound.

Watching the neighbors either walk by or drive by without stopping or saying hi.  Is it just me or do most people not like face to face any more.

I need to put a pad on the chair if I am going to be spinning for that long. It turns out I was having such a good time I did not notice that 2 hours had passed. The sore bottom did not hit until I stood up.

Even though spinning in the house is relaxing it helps to change things up a bit.

The things I need to figure out about the wheel. On the outside bobbin placement the wheel seems to work fine. If I put the drive belt on the middle on the whole wheel seems to go wobbly on me. I probably need a new belt or learn some adjustments. I think these things will come with time. But If you have the answers please leave a comment for me. Thanks.

Now it is time to finish processing the yarn I spun yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the answer, but it could be that your drive band isn't tight enough at that position. Is it a stretchy drive band or a set-length kind of a drive band?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spinning outside is wonderful and the time certainly can slip past quickly. Regarding your wobbly wheel...
    have you tightened every place you can tighten on your wheel? This is something that should be done occasionally to keep everything running smoothly. Is the middle pulley larger or smaller than the outside one that you normally use? Is your drive band stretchy or not and is your wheel double drive or single? If not using a stretchy drive band you would need to move the MOA in one direction or the other to compensate for the difference in the drive band tension. Hope that's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE to spin outside. It really is relaxing brings a whole new level to the enjoyment. Play around with your band. Every wheel is different and you may find that you prefer on ratio to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy outside spinning....it somehow just seems like one is playing hookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy spinning outside too. But I find that I can get distracted by the birds, bunnies, dogs and alpacas... they always seem to be doing something interesting or cute. ;-)

    I also enjoy knitting outside. We have a poarch swing. So that plus a glass of ice tea is wonderful.

    Either way it certainly is a relaxing time.

    ReplyDelete