Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dead Sewing Machine

Well I took the sewing machine into the shop today to try and get it fixed. They said it could not be fixed.  Since they said it was beyond repair in their opinion, but I could pay them $200.00 to look at it!  I might just tear the dang thing apart myself and see if I can fix it. After all they said it was to broke to fix, so how much worse could I make it?

So they said they had a new Brother sewing machine for $700.00 which is a bit pricey in my book  They seemed down right mad that I would just not hand them $700.00 plus tax with out consulting my hubby. Well for that boo boo on there part if I do get a new machine it will be through e-bay, a local pawn shop or thrift store. I just don't see why sales people need to talk down to their customers, after all we are their paychecks, our purchases fuel their jobs. By the way the same sewing machine on e-bay was at least $200.00 less.

Well I am off to look at the product reviews to see if the machine is even worth the asking price on e-bay. Now if I can just get someone to carry in the machine from the car so I can fiddle with it.

1 comment:

  1. $700 for a Brother sewing machine? Are they out of their flipping minds? What does it do...cut out the quilts for you? If you're set on a Brother machine, check out overstock.com. Or...take the time to treat yourself to something better...Bernina just introduced a new line-up, and I'll bet you could find either a new or really gently used low-end last year's model for about the same $700 if you check with the local Bernina shop. That's how I lucked into my Bernina (last generation switch-over, one up from the bottom model), and I've not regretted it for a minute. My low-end Bernina sews circles around my friends' Brother machines (better stitch control, and much more power for sewing through multiple layers). It can go from leather to tulle without a lot of fiddling with tension settings... The only downsides to the Bernina are that it gags on cheap thread and on cheap felt (Coats Dual Duty or better is a necessity, and Joann's cheap craft felt doesn't feed at all).

    ps. check on-line for the repair manual for your old machine... sounds like the salescritters you ran into were more interested in moving merch than repairing your machine (of course, some brands of old machines aren't worth repairing).

    ReplyDelete