My 1 Million Row Challenge

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Busy Days and Nights

It has been a busy time around here. I am trying to keep up, but i am sure that you know how that goes. Work in minus work done equals a lot of work left to do. I guess that goes along with my wonderful job title, Mom. What kind of a job title is that? Does it really pay anything? What are the hours like? What do I do?

Dinner Tuesday was one of those throw together affairs, frozen vegan ravioli with a sauce of canned mushrooms,olives, garbanzo beans and a jar of sauce dumped in a pan and warmed up, with frozen green beans. John and Teri graciously cleaned up the kitchen after I used all those pots and pans. I don't know how I used so many, they just seemed to land on the stove.

Being a mom is like being a handyman, you have to be able to do anything on a moments notice, and I do mean anything. Tuesday night Eric was having a bad night, he was uncomfortable, wanted to eat, did not want to eat, wanted his position changed, wanted hugs, wanted to be left alone. This went on till 3:30 am. John let me sleep in to 6:30 and then I had to get up and dressed in case the painters came.You would think that after a night like that he would want to stay home and sleep, but no it was the round trip drive to camp. He had the audacity to be happy and cheerful Wednesday morning. Not much got done on Wednesday, I swear that there was not enough caffeine in the world to keep me awake and productive. But laundry and cleaning got done anyway. When I went to pick up Eric at camp he was happy to see me and did not take a nap at all, I guess that comes from being 19.

I have to admit that on Wednesday I did go to the store and buy 1 skein of yarn for and order, I was going to get 2 skeins, but they got in the new Simply Knitting Magazine that I love. In my tired haze convinced myself that I could do the socks with 2 colors that is the extra pattern leaflet in the back of the magazine. I did go again on Thursday because I found another coupon on line, the yarn is for an order of 8 kitchen washcloths and it is in a color that I don't have. I really don't have every color know to man. I know that it is hard to believe. But I have managed to finish 2 and have the 3rd in progress. It is just the type of order that a muddled brain fogged mind can handle.

Teri is starting to request all her favorite dinners before she leaves for law school in about a month. I said this was fine as long as she did the shopping. Last night was Tamale pie with peach pie for desert, we forgot to put together the salads so I really can not call it a square meal, but there was lots of pie.

Eric had a fairly good night Wednesday, he was only up for 30 minutes about 3 am with leg cramps and positioning problems. His timing was great since that was about the time my body decided it had had enough and needed Tylenol and stretching.

Eric was happy to go to camp today, they are going to see Ice Age 3. I one the other hand have cleared my brain fog, run the dishwasher and did 2 out of 4 loads of laundry. In the summer I stop doing laundry when the temperature hits 100 degrees, it is now 102 at noon. The good thing about summer is that the clothes dry on the line very fast. I should be able to put these away by 3ish. Roomba was tired so I got Teri to vacuum the den. I will empty the dishwasher after lunch. I guess it is also time to figure out what is for dinner.

As you have probably guessed that this job lacks monetary payment and has extremely long hours, but the hugs make it all worth while. Do I wish I could have an 8 to 5 job-yes. Will I have one in the near future - no. After all there are bills to pay, laundry to do, meals to make, taking care of Eric, shopping to do, the house to clean and the odd appointment to get to. If I am having a really good week I just might get to have lunch with a friend or 2 or even go meet a friend to knit.